Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons

I kept getting suggestions from people on the internet to read The Bronze Horseman. What is this I wondered over and over again. I put it off, but then someone would suggest it again. Finally it went on sale and I jumped at the chance to read it. I was surprised to discover that the story takes place at the beggining of WWII in Lennigrad Russia. Tattiana is sent out by her father to buy as much food as she can because news of Germany going to war with Russia was just announced over the radio. Finding store after store being jam packed with people fighting over sausage, she thinks I'll catch a bus and go to a different part of town. She sits and indulges in one last ice cream cone. Alexander a soldier in the Red Army is at an intersection deciding which way to go. One choice, one simple choice, he sees her. Maybe that one choice changed their fate, or perhaps was their fate. One choice, to cross the street forever changes these two lives. This story is heart wrenching. Millions of people die. Starvation, war, disease, deceit, all are obstacles love must endure. So much happens in this story, I laughed and cried, then when I thought my tears were dry I cried some more. It's emo
tional and painful but exquisite. My sister asked me why do I want to read things that can make me cry, my answer should have been because sometimes you get to imagine a love story so beautiful that you are privileged to have a glimpse of some powerful words from anothers soul. I will carry this story, it will always be with me, following me the way the Bronze Horseman follows Alexander and Tattiana. One choice, to read this story, will be forever attached to my heatt. Once you read this then you know, this is the greatest love story ever told.

No comments:

Post a Comment